Corporate Counsel in Phoenix, AZ
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Corporate Counsel (Corporate Services) is responsible for providing legal counsel and advice on matters handled by the Legal Department’s Corporate Services team, with an emphasis on corporate transactional and SEC reporting matters.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Provides legal and professional support to Company personnel across a broad range of corporate, strategic and legal matters, including M&A transactions, periodic SEC reporting, corporate finance and general corporate matters that impact the Company’s delivery of waste, recycling and energy services to commercial, industrial, municipal and residential customers
- Supports legal aspects of strategic transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, investments and divestitures
- Reviews, analyzes, and contributes to the negotiation, drafting and modification of various types of contracts and other transactional legal documents, including purchase and sale, transition services, subcontract, consulting and confidentiality agreements, term sheets and letters of intent
- Provides advice and counseling with respect to disclosure matters, including in connection with current, quarterly and annual reports as well as proxy statements filed with the SEC, earnings releases, securities offerings and financing transactions
- Provides advice and counseling to internal clients, including operations and corporate personnel, regarding other matters within the Corporate Services legal team, including support on business development, tax, licensing, real estate and rail operations matters, among others
- Drafts and otherwise contributes to reports to the Company’s Chief Legal Officer, senior management and auditors
- Prepares legal budgets and recommends legal reserves
- Selects and manages outside counsel and internal legal staff
- Provides training to management, corporate and field personnel
- Assists with policies and procedures associated with the Corporate Services legal team support responsibilities
- Overnight travel may be required
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
- JD; licensed to practice law and in good standing (required)
- Minimum of three years of experience as a practicing attorney (required)
- Minimum of three years of experience performing the types of legal work listed above.
- Experience working in a large, multi-state corporate or legal environment
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local statutes and regulations applicable to publicly-traded organizations
- A proven track record demonstrating the ability to independently make decisions regarding complex legal and corporate issues
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding organizational, time management and problem solving skills
- Strong collaboration skills
- Excellent judgment and high integrity
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
- Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
- Short- and long-term disability.
- Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
- Employee discount programs.
- 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).