Director, Fleet & Asset Management in Phoenix, AZ
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Director, Fleet and Asset Management has primary responsibilities over sustained excellence, strategic supplier relationships, annual new truck “spec’ing” and ordering development process, the use of technology for our trucks and for our maintenance process, project management and analysis of statistical data for presentation and decision-making purposes. This position requires execution excellence which includes managing complex projects using various project management tools cross-functionally on initiatives with Company-wide impact. As a member of the Fleet and Asset Management leadership team, this position has accountability for driving and establishing standard processes that transform maintenance and fleet management into a consistently executing and continuous improvement organization. This takes into account, but is not limited to, identifying key improvement initiatives with systems, auditing process standards and data integrity, performing financial analysis, recommending employee training opportunities and developing key performance metrics to achieve successful and sustainable operational outcomes.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- In collaboration with the Corporate and Area leadership teams, develops the business and operating strategy for the Fleet Management function, including: fleet planning, fleet procurement, fleet maintenance, fleet management and fleet talent management. Provides overall leadership for the Fleet Management function.
- Defines overall corporate priorities for improving the fleet quality, reliability, safety and availability, while minimizing capital expense, operating expense and asset intensity; translates priorities into initiatives and actions that will deliver performance objectives; collaborates with others in appropriate areas to achieve goals. Ensures alignment, ownership and accountability for plans across functional and field business units. Instills analytical, fact-based problem-solving processes to support fleet-related decision making.
- With Procurement and Area Maintenance Managers, defines vehicle and equipment strategies. Drives standardization to reduce acquisition and maintenance cost, and complexity; in cooperation with Procurement, identifies and develops strategic vendor relationships. Defines supplier management processes to include co-engineering, quality performance, delivery performance, dealer service effectiveness, recall campaigns, training and warranty.
- With Area Fleet Management, defines and ensures adherence to the Company’s policies, standards, processes and systems requirements; reduces or eliminates variances in fleet maintenance through greater standardization.
- With Safety, develops and implements fleet safety programs that continuously improve vehicle safety, employee safety and customer safety.
- Ensures strict and timely compliance with all Company, federal and state regulatory policies and requirements. Manages Republic’s relationships with external regulatory and industry groups.
- Develops strategies for specific fleet management activities (e.g., fleet standardization, insourced vs. outsourced functions, repair specialization, tire programs, asset retirement and disposal).
- Ensures systems, tools, metrics, best practices, capabilities and staffing are developed to enable execution to the Republic Way standards.
- Ensures effectiveness, deployment and execution of fleet management information systems.
- Improves management systems to measure and manage key performance drivers (e.g., cost, repair quality, fleet availability/reliability, repair productivity, asset utilization, safety and talent development).
- Conducts periodic status checks to monitor milestone progress, identify potential issues with key stakeholders and keeps leaders apprised of project status.
- Facilitates communication of accurate expectations of project status.
- Partners with and guides key stakeholders with the design and use of process improvement tools and key performance metrics to monitor the effectiveness of projects and programs during and following implementation.
- Installs fact-based problem-solving processes to support fleet decision-making; improves analytics and processes to enable budgeting and forecasting.
- This position may require travel by air, car and/or other modes of transportation up to 75% of the time.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a business role managing multi-departmental projects (required).
- Minimum of 5 years of project management experience in general business operations, business management, process improvement, economic and statistical analysis and/or financial accounting (required).
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in fleet management including basic familiarity with asset management terminology and fleet system processes.
- Proficient in using statistical analysis tools, templates and software applications including Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project, and Access, etc.) and industry recognized statistical analysis and business intelligence applications (required).
- Experience using Total Quality Management principles, Lean/Six Sigma and DMAIC modeling techniques, leading/facilitating/organizing teams and training others in related process and continuous improvement skills.
- Experience with Total Quality Management principles and Toyota Production Systems (TPS) and experience conducting continuous improvement programs (kaisen) and other related TPS processes.
- Experience in waste and/or transportation management or service industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Statistics or related field.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance Statistics or related field.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
- Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
- Short- and long-term disability.
- Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
- Employee discount programs.
- 401(k) plan with a generous company match.