Benefits Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for assisting in the day-to-day administration of the Company’s Health & Welfare, Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance, retirement programs and compensation plans. The position assists the process owners in their duties as a resource for Health & Welfare and retirement plan record-keepers & administrators, employees, field personnel and payroll to help resolve issues and review data with a high level of customer service and analytical abilities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Responsible for day-to-day administrative functions related to the Benefits and Compensation departments including weekly and monthly payroll file processing, wire requests, account reconciliations, benefit deduction research, maintenance of web portals and retirement distribution processing. This includes running ad hoc reports, analyzing data and to support the benefits and compensation teams to correct system inaccuracies.
- Assists the team in conducting detailed research and data analysis on various plan and employee issues. Facilitates problem escalations and either resolves them or escalates them to the appropriate level for resolution.
- Assists with information gathering for annual audits, valuations, compliance testing, government filings, benefit committee meetings and other duties related to retirement and health & welfare plan administration.
- Accumulates, tracks and analyzes monthly workforce data to ensure compliance with the Affordable Care Act and reports findings to department management.
- Assists department management with educating field and corporate Human Resource teams on ACA requirements
- Coordinates timely ACA-related filings with third party administrator and department management.
- Assists benefits department with maintenance and tracking of all legally required documentation in accordance with IRS/DOL requirements, including timely distribution to employees.
- Facilitates annual distribution of Multi-Employer Health & Welfare Plan inquiries, tracks responses and works with the Labor and Benefits teams to ensure all responses are received timely.
- Schedules and coordinates logistics associated with events related to Benefits, Compensation and HRIS activities such as special projects, labor related issues, training and vendor management events.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Human Resources, or related field.
- Affordable Care Act experience preferred.
- Analytical and reporting experience preferred.
- Benefit plan, retirement plan, or compensation plan knowledge preferred.
- HRIS and Payroll system knowledge preferred.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and One Note).
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
- Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
- Short- and long-term disability.
- Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
- Employee discount programs.
- 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).