Senior Java Developer in Scottsdale, AZ
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Republic Services Development team is creating a new Platform using best in class open source development and testing tools to transform our customer’s web and mobile experience. Our platform includes cloud hosted applications, a high focus on code quality and automation, a best in class e-commerce system, and using DevOps as a competitive advantage. The Senior Java Developer is responsible for the analysis, design, development, implementation, and support of high-volume, mission critical systems that contribute to various aspects of Republic Services’ business. These enterprise systems are tightly integrated and highly interdependent. Each system can be multi-tiered and composed of object-oriented (Java based) components that are scalable, robust, extensible, and secure. This position will serve as the lead developer of a group and will be expected to provide subject matter expertise, creating, modifying, and enforcing software coding practices, and will be accountable for system uptime and availability.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Participates in and/or leads the system or application analysis and design phase to gather business requirements and functional specifications used to develop Republic Services’ business applications
- Participates in and/or leads the technical analysis and design phase including system components, operating environments, interfaces, system and data flows, security requirements, and deployment procedures.
- Leads the software development of a team or group by providing guidance and mentoring to other team members in coding techniques, implementation details, and enforcing Republic’s code development standards.
- Assists in the transition of code and features from development to the testing team including environment set up and configuration, automation tools and frameworks, and source code repositories.
- Leads the deployment of code to production environments.
- Interacts with internal Republic IT and business teams to coordinate system dependencies.
- Coordinates with outside vendors to establish business and technical solutions for Republic and Republic customers.
- Stays informed and aware of technology industry standards and best practices through continuous learning and education.
- Creates and/or updates documentation necessary for each system.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
- 5 or more years’ experience in object-oriented programming and advanced proficiency with the following tools or languages:
- Java and related components and frameworks
- JAXB, Apache CXF, Eclipse SWT, Eclipse JFaceWeb
- Web service protocols such as SOAP or REST
- Enterprise tools such as Spring, Hibernate, JPA, Maven
- Application servers such as Tomcat
- Unit test frameworks such as jUnit
- Continuous Integration tools such as Jenkins
- Source code control tools such as Git or GitHub
- Java and related components and frameworks
- Exceptional knowledge of software development best practices such as coding standards, methodologies, code quality, source code management, build and deployment processes, testing, and automation.
- 5 years of experience working with RDBMS.
- E-commerce experience is a plus.
- Experience with cloud environments such as Amazon and related Amazon Web Services.
- Experience with Unix operating systems.
- Hands-on experience developing Java Message Services (JMS) using Java or another object orient languages
- Experience with Agile tools such as RallyDev
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) concepts by designing and developing with abstraction, loose coupling, and cohesion in mind.
- Proven ability to lead and mentor junior/less experienced developers.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative and inclusive environment.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
- Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
- Short- and long-term disability.
- Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
- Employee discount programs.
- 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).