Republic Services Commercial Lead Driver in Midland, Texas
Requisition ID: 26479BR
Job Title: Commercial Lead Driver
Division: 3438: Duncan Disposal-Midland
Location: 48004: Midland-8220 W Highway 80
Position Type: Full-Time
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
A Commercial Lead Driver is responsible for overseeing a group of drivers to ensure complete route coverage, prompt and courteous customer service and also safely operates a front, rear or side-loading truck to provide complete waste removal services for customers who reside on a designated route. In addition, the Commercial Lead Driver is also responsible for the prompt and courteous delivery and removal of containers, using a tractor trailer or a straight truck with a pup trailer. The Commercial Lead Driver is responsible for ensuring his or her vehicle is in compliance with the Company’s safety standards prior to operating the vehicle, ensures that all Company, state and federal regulations are adhered to at all times while operating the vehicle, and completes vehicle condition reports (“VCRs”) on a daily basis to ensure that any vehicle defects are repaired in a timely manner. The Commercial Lead Driver assists the Route Supervisor or Operations Manager in training new drivers on proper safety and driving techniques.
• Oversee a group of drivers on a daily basis to ensure routes are being serviced in a timely manner; report down time or other concerns to appropriate management; assist in planning and execution of re-routes to maximize efficiency; assist in the training of new drivers.
• Perform complete pre- and post-operation inspection of the vehicle in accordance with Company policy to ensure tire pressure, fluid levels, safety equipment, gauges, and controls are in proper working order. Report any safety issues on standard reports.
• Safely operate his or her heavy truck along designated route and to the disposal site; read route sheet, follow map and service each customer as identified on the route sheet or as assigned by the dispatcher and/or supervisor.
• Operate manual and/or automatic controls in accordance with Company safety policies and procedures to lift and load refuse, operate compactor and dispose of collected material at the designated facility.
• Courteously interact with all customers, dispatchers and others on a daily basis to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a timely and professional manner.
• Identify unsatisfactory waste containers and tag containers in accordance with applicable departmental procedures.
• Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste.
• Clean area around an accidental waste spill, ensuring adherence to all applicable safety standards and policies.
• Continuously monitor the condition of the vehicle to ensure it is operationally ready at all times to minimize down time; clean waste from the packer blade and truck body on each disposal trip.
• Complete required route/productivity sheets, VCRs and other reports, as required.
• Maintain adherence to required productivity standards for the department to ensure all customers are serviced in a timely and efficient manner.
• May be required to perform minor repairs on containers in the yard.
• Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
• Actively participate in the Company’s ReSOP program.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Three years of prior experience driving heavy commercial trucks.
• One year in a lead role.
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude to be able to do perform minor repairs to containers.
• Class A Commercial Driver’s license.
• Class B or higher Commercial Driver’s license with air brakes endorsement.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Good customer services skills to meet and exceed customer expectations; acts in a professional, courteous and cooperative manner toward customers and co-workers; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
• Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
• Good follow through ability; adheres to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
• Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; does not take inappropriate risks.
• Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.