Republic Services Diesel Mechanic - Maintenance Technician - Lead in N Charleston, South Carolina
Requisition ID: 28769BR
Job Title: Diesel Mechanic - Maintenance Technician - Lead
Division: 3100: Fennell-Charleston
Location: 45001: N Charleston-141 Fennell Rd
City: N Charleston
Position Type: Full-Time
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Republic Services is looking for ambitious, capable, and skilled technicians to join our network of over 32,000 employees, serving 14 million customers and over 2,700 communities across the United States. Reporting to a Maintenance Supervisor or Maintenance Manager, the Lead Technician provides direction to a group of technicians (mechanics) to ensure that all repairs and maintenance of equipment are performed in compliance with the Company’s safety standards and applicable federal and state regulations. The Lead Technician is responsible for all chassis (diesel and non-diesel equipment and trucks) and refuse body work, including, but not limited to, hydraulic, electrical, heating and air conditioning system maintenance and repair. In addition, the Lead Technician is diagnoses more complicated repair work; provides coaching on diagnostic techniques to subordinate technicians; performs external repair inspections to ensure all repair work is done in a safe manner; and schedules the repair work for his or her work group to ensure that all repair and maintenance work is done in a safe and timely manner, reducing lost productivity within the shop.
Enjoy the benefits of working on a single fleet with state-of-the-art equipment, supporting our drivers as they run their routes and servicing some of the most technically advanced vehicles on the road.
• Tackle a new challenge every day
• Maintain and repair highly intricate and powerful machinery
• Receive training on new technologies and equipment
• Work a regular shift in a stable industry
• Be recognized for exceptional performance
• Serve your community and your customers
• Follow strong career paths for professional growth
• Enjoy competitive wages and benefits
Join us and help make a positive impact on your community, your environment and your world.
• Maintains expert knowledge of, and advanced working proficiency in, the following vehicle components and systems, with the ability to perform complex repair maintenance functions, both on site and on the road:
o Chassis component repair and maintenance;
o Refuse bodies, including control, hydraulic and electrical systems;
o Air and hydraulic braking systems;
o Engine repair and maintenance;
o Suspension, drivetrain and steering systems; and
o Heating and air conditioning systems.
• Performs line maintenance welding and fabrication.
• Provides direction to technicians assigned to his or her work group to ensure that all repair and maintenance work is performed in a safe, efficient and timely manner. May plan and schedule repair work to minimize lost productivity.
• Inspects repairs done by a third party vendor to ensure all work has been properly completed in accordance with the Company’s safety procedures and federal and state regulations; follows up when necessary.
• Performs repair diagnostics on more complex matters.
• Identifies the source of malfunctions using a variety of electronic tools.
• Completes applicable Company training programs.
• Handles Maintenance Supervisor responsibilities, as needed.
• Acts as a mentor to technicians.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• At least 3 years of experience as an intermediate technician working on heavy duty Class 8 trucks.
• At least 3 years of experience in a role requiring compliance with OSHA Haz Com, OSHA Lock Out Tag Out, and all OSHA fire protection regulations.
• At least 1 year of supervisory or lead technician experience is a plus but not required.
• ASE Heavy Truck Certifications (T1-T8) is a plus but not required.
• Class B or higher Commercial Driver’s License is a plus but not required.
• Valid Driver’s License (required).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.