Republic Services Area Manager Driver Training in Santa Fe Spgs, California
Requisition ID: 27770BR
Job Title: Area Manager Driver Training
Division: 3890: Santa Fe Springs Cost Ctr
Location: 06002: Santa Fe Spgs-12949 Telegraph
City: Santa Fe Spgs
Position Type: Full-Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
The Area Driver Training Manager is responsible for managing a Driver Training Center for an assigned Area, which includes the management, administration and coordination of all driver-related training activities. The position facilitates driver training programs to train and educate drivers about proper vehicle inspection, safe vehicle operation and defensive driving techniques, with an emphasis on the Company’s Focus 6 program, so a driver is able to ensure his or her vehicle meets Company and Department of Transportation (“DOT”) safety standards before operating on the road, and that all drivers are fully trained in the safe operation of solid waste and recycling collection vehicles. In addition, the Area Driver Training Manager coordinates with Business Unit managers in his or her Area to forecast hiring and scheduling needs to ensure that fully trained drivers are qualified and available for service as needed.
• Train and educate new and existing drivers and helpers on proper procedures for completing all vehicle inspections in compliance with Company and DOT policies and standards.
• Conduct and facilitate in-cab and classroom training (which includes indoor and outdoor activities) for new and existing drivers, as well as helpers, to ensure all drivers and helpers are fully trained with respect to defensive driving skills and the safe operation of all vehicles used for the collection, transport and disposal of solid waste and recyclable materials.
• Administer appropriate tests to determine drivers’ proficiency in Company procedures, safe equipment operation and defensive driving; maintain all required training records.
• Audit in-cab training and prepare reports for management regarding progress of driver training.
• Conduct road tests of driver candidates to assess and evaluate driving skills; provide input into hiring decision based on results of road test and recommend post-employment training to ensure all drivers are fully trained in Company safety, compliance and operational standards.
• Conduct road tests of existing drivers to evaluate driving skills, safety techniques and Focus Six compliance; provide coaching to improve performance; provide feedback to drivers’ route supervisors so training is reinforced on the job.
• Train and educate drivers who change equipment in the proper inspection of new equipment, defensive driving and safe operation of his or her new type of solid waste or recycling collection vehicle; train and educate helpers on safe working practices and behaviors.
• Increase driver proficiency through re-training and continual reinforcement of learnings.
• Conduct driver evaluations and re-evaluations related to DOT and/or state-required certifications.
• Assist current employees seeking to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in their preparation for state written and driving examinations.
• Provide assistance after vehicle- and personal injury-accidents to improve training and correct work practices; provide re-training for drivers following preventable accidents or injuries.
• Select or develop, where necessary, teaching aids, such as training handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids, computer tutorials and reference works for classroom training to ensure that all training is up-to-date, informative and in compliance with Company standards.
• Follow all safety policies and procedures.
• This position may require travel by air, car and/or other modes of transportation up to 50% of the time.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Class B or higher commercial driver’s license.
• Ability to operate a standard transmission power unit.
• Smith System Certified Trainer.
• Experience using MS Office including Word, Excel, Project, and PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of DOT, OSHA and other related state and federal regulations.
• High school diploma or G.E.D.
• Minimum of 5 years of commercial trucking, transportation or professional/workplace training experience.
• Minimum of 2 years in a lead, supervisory or management role. • No prohibitions to acquiring a commercial drivers’ license.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Ability to complete the Smith System Driver Institute and obtain relevant certifications (if not already certified).
• Ability to understand and provider leadership to achieve and communicate about Company goals and objectives.
• Ability to influence and collaborate with, encourage and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation across teams.
• Effective interpersonal communication across various levels of the organization.
• Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
• Good follow through ability; adheres to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
• Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; does not take inappropriate risks. • Effective presentation skills. • Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.